Aniket Mandavgane (AIR - 29)


An Interview with Mr. Aniket Mandavgane

IAS Topper, 1strank Maharashtra (All India Rank: 29) IAS Toppers List 2009 - 2010

I: Sir, please accept my heartiest congratulations on your splendid success.
Mr. Mandavgane: Thank- you.

I: Sir, you qualified for the prestigious post in your first attempt and have stood first in Maharashtra. How did you feel when you heard about it?
Mr. Mandavgane: That was a great moment. I was confident of making it, so I was eagerly waiting for the result. As far as being first in state is concerned, I will say that my hard work and dedication helped me to achieve this.

I: When did you start preparing for this exam?

Mr. Mandavgane: I was interested in this field right since my teenage years. So I started preparing for it since my third year of engineering. I did my engineering from Sinhagad College, Pune. In my final year, I gave my first attempt and qualified.

I: What were your optional subjects for they exam?
Mr. Mandavgane: My optional subjects were History and Political Science.

I: Sir, in spite of being from engineering background, you chose optional social science subjects as your optional subjects. Beside the exam does have more questions related to the humanities. Didn't you find that difficult? How an aspiring candidate should chose his subjects?

Mr. Mandavgane: One should select the subjects as per one's liking as well as the availability of guidance for them. I chose humanities subjects basically because these subjects are dynamic and interesting and help us to understand what is actually happening in the society. I like them. So studying them was fascinating experience.

I: How was your study plan for prelims and mains?
Mr. Mandavgane: I did two years of dedicated and intensive study. I selected good books and did a lot of self study. Prelims have objective and scoring questions, which can be tackled with correct material. One should have general awareness. I read newspapers and analyzed them.

For mains, I prepared my own notes which proved to be very useful. Also I had the guidance of Avinash Dharmadhikari sir (former IAS Officer), which helped me in the final stages.


I: Which were the newspapers and magazines you referred?
Mr. Mandavgane: I regularly read newspapers like the Hindu, the Times of Indiaand the Indian Express. I am also a reader of the Outlook, the Frontline and the Chronicle. However, one should keep a balanced view and analyze what we read.

I: What is your opinion about the interview stage?
Mr. Mandavgane: Interview is not difficult if you have prepared well for the prelims and mains. It is a test of your personality as well as knowledge. It tests your character and merit simultaneously.

I: Please tell us about your interview.
Mr. Mandavgane: It was a nice experience. The panel which interviewed me was cordial. The members questioned me only after I had completed my answers. They were keen to know my views on a variety of subjects. It lasted for 40 minutes.

I: On what fields were you questioned.
Mr. Mandavgane: I am from Pune. So I was asked about the city, its social reformers and the current issues like the water shortage that the city is facing. Since I am an engineer, I was questioned on many technical things like the CAD, the CAM.

Many questions were related to the foreign policy of India, mainly Chinaand U.S.A.All questions were contemporary.

I: Which branch are you aspiring to work in? When does your training begin?
Mr. Mandavgane: I wish to work in the Indian Foreign Service (IFS). The trining begins towards august end.

I: Who do you dedicate your success to?
Mr. Mandavgane: I am grateful to my family, friends, relatives for supporting me and believing that I can qualify the exam. I will always be indebted to my teachers for their valuable guidance.

I: What is your message to aspiring candidates?
Mr. Mandavgane: Be really interested in what you are aspiring for, because we are being chosen to help our fellow citizens. Hard work, dedication, perseverance and smart study can help you to qualify the exam.

I: Sir, thank you for your valuable time and our best wishes for your future.

Mr. Mandavgane: Thank you.
Subscribe Us
Do you like this article ?

Get free daily E-mail updates!

Copyright 2011 IAS...a sole dream